* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
s o m e • f o o d • f o r • t h o u g h t

food is fabulous....and the fact of the matter is there is nothing i would rather do than go out for delicious delights with my dear dear friends. Sweet, savory and oh so yummy is there really anything more marvelous than spending time with the people you love dining over delectables? ...and so kate's kitchen escapades was born.....this little "ode to food" chronicles my love for eating and the oh so exciting adventure that dining out can be.........so read it, enjoy, eat, drink and be merry... i hope you love it as much as i love sharing it with you..…..

Sunday, December 3, 2006

any time of day

Café La Gaffe

under the twinkle lights out back, on a warm summers night, la gaffe sparkles. The small baldwin gem is always filled with sounds of laughter and aromas of a far off land. Serving a traditional french mediterranean menu, this bistro brings old friends together, and evokes new friends to make memories over a bottle of wine and a delicious meal. Always memorable, I have returned to la gaffe time and time again. The wooden church pew seating combined with woven tablecloths and walls littered with eclectic artwork create a warm atmosphere that calms the mind and sooths my soul. This morning, after a big night out, the gang gathered at la gaffe for brunch…a meal there I had not yet explored. The brie omelette “spoke” to me right off the menu. The combination of apples, and walnuts with the warm rich cheese was a nice change from the traditional chedder and veggie omelette that is a staple on so many breakfast menus. The banana french toast, though was by far my favorite dish on the table. It was moist and melt in my mouth yummy. With just the right amount of banana it was flavorful without being overwhelming.....next time i think i will have one all to myself! Breakfast delights were complemented with heaping helpings of hash browns cooked crispy…just like I like them and coffee so delicious and fresh you would think they were growing the beans out back. Good at any time of the day la gaffe is a staple in my restaurant rotation… I have even been known to make a special late night trip to the baldwin village, simply because I can’t sleep without a mouthful of their traditional tiramisu…now that is what I call dedication to all that is delicious!

Café La Gaff
24 Baldwin
Toronto, ON

1 comment:

Samantha said...

mmm..I agree-the desserts there are amazing!